A Selected Bibliography
The resurgence in Elgarian scholarship and the ever increasing interest in Elgar, his life and work have resulted in an vast expansion of publishing activity. Below is a brief, selected bibliography highlighting some of the important landmarks of Elgar literature.
The publications listed here, together with a wide range of other books and pamphlets can be obtained through the Elgar Birthplace Museum shop.
In the absence of an exhaustive bibliography, the links at the foot of this page will access a wider range of published items.
For those wishing to consult articles featured in the Elgar Society Journals, these may be accesses through the Archive tab on the navigation bar of this site.
- Robert ANDERSON : Elgar in Manuscript (British Library, 1990).
- Robert ANDERSON : Elgar in the 'Master Musicians' series (Dent, 1993).
- Wulstan ATKINS : The Elgar-Atkins Friendship (David & Charles, 1984).
- Michael KENNEDY : Portrait of Elgar (3rd edn, OUP, 1987).
- Michael KENNEDY : The Life of Elgar (CUP, 2004).
- Raymond MONK (ed) : Elgar Studies (Scolar, 1990; reissued by Ashgate)
- Raymond MONK (ed) : Edward Elgar : Music and Literature (Scolar, 1993; resissued by Ashgate).
- Jerrold Northrop MOORE : Edward Elgar : a Creative Life (OUP, 1984).
- Jerrold Northrop MOORE : Elgar and his Publishers : Letters of a Creative Life(2 vols, OUP, 1987).
- Jerrold Northrop MOORE : Edward Elgar : The Windflower Letters (Clarendon, 1989).
- Jerrold Northrop MOORE : Edward Elgar : Letters of a Lifetime (Clarendon, 1990).
- Simon MUNDY : Elgar : His Life and Times (Omnibus, 2nd. Edition 2001).
- Mrs Richard POWELL : Edward Elgar : Memories of a Variation (4th edn, Scolar, 1994, reissued by Ashgate).
- The Elgar Society is grateful to the following for permission to use the cover art of the above publications. Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press, Dave & Charles, Ashgate Publishing, Orion Publishing Group & Omibus Press.